cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: WinOMS Printing - Locks Up

YES!!! This has been a frustration with our office for years and happens not only with Word, but with Outlook and Excel.  After numerous hours of calls with WinOMS Support and my IT support, I quit trying to solve the problem.   My team all know that when this happens, close out any MS Office programs.  The issue is not in printing the Word document or Excel document that is open, it is with printing something from WinOMS like a statement or a walkout statement or an insurance claim - something that has to pull data from WinOMS and merge it into what it is trying to print.  I was also told numerous times that it had to do with the type of printer we had, but it has happened with Kyocera, Sharp, HP, pretty much any printer we've had and with multiple versions of WinOMS.  At one point my IT support put a "Print Clear" shortcut on the desktop that sometimes would get the job to go through, but even that doesn't work all the time.  I believe it does have something to do with the way networked printers are connected to the workstations.  It seems to be a spooling thing - if you walk away for a while, it eventually finishes sending the job - I've seen it take upwards of 10 minutes.  Of course we can't wait that long so we just close out the programs and get on with work, or frustratingly get kicked out of WinOMS and have to log back in.  But it's not something that happens with every job or something that we can force to happen so it's been incredibly hard for anyone to successfully diagnose and fix.  The other temporary solution is a reboot - if it starts happening to one of the workstations with every print job, I have them reboot and usually things run smoothly again (for a while).

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

When you are working in WinOMS, especially when you are going to use Word, make sure you are closed out of Outlook and Skype, (If you use it). Those two programs don't play well with WinOMS. From what I'm reading you have Outlook opened when you are working in WinOMS and have issues. Try this for a few days, close out of Outlook (and Skype) when working in WinOMS and see if the issues still happen.

Also, and I may have read this wrong, when you print for example, and you get a message that says "Not Responding", wait. That message doesn't necessarily mean its not working, it is trying to complete the command. I've seen when a user receive that message they will start clicking trying to exit without realizing every time there is a click, its sending another command adding to the job. At that point Windows and WinOMS now have a list of commands they need to complete before it can release. The message should be released either when it compels the job or it can not, either way the message should go away.

If you would like for me to contact you and discuss this further please send your contact information and I'll reach out to you!

Thanks,

Howie

0 Kudos

Nevermind.. the solution I have in place failed today.

So far the only solution is to close out of word when printing locks up. What is the deal with this Carestream?

Howie... you can email me directly nates@dtctoday.com if you want to help solve this issue. 

0 Kudos
frontdesk
Canine II

Do you have Office 365? We just switched from Office 2010 to office 365 in January and experience the same issues. We had our IT company called Carestream and spoke with a higher level developer. Per the developer they have NO ETA on fixing the compatibility issue. The development team is aware of the issue but haven't had a chance to work on it due to bugs with the recent update 9.2. The only work around is to close outlook, business Skype and possible for your case, close any open word documents. The frustration lies in the fact our IT company reached out to Carestream PRIOR to moving us to Office 365 and were told there was no reported issues with WinOMS and Office 365. Disappointing...

Community Manager
Community Manager

Forgive me for airing my frustration and being unprofessional, but just the other week, we were able to strap a Tesla Roadster to a rocket and send it into space. Is it unreasonable to have the expectation that WinOMS and Microsoft Office can run concurrently, without issue?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Steve,

As we know, Outlook and WinOMS don't play well together and when both programs are opened at the same time you can experience issues.  It would be great if the fix was as easy as changing the code within WinOMS. However Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel) is also involved it gets more complicated for a variable of reasons.The recommendation has always been to close out of Outlook when you're in WinOMS and shouldn't have the issues.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Steve,

I just this moment responded to your original thread, the issue really comes down to software companies understandably, will not give out their code. The issues as form what I've know all these years falls within both us and Microsoft.  Sorry I don't have a better answer.

0 Kudos

I applaud you for making me laugh this morning. haha.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

We also often experience freezing (not responding) when printing. This has gotten worse recently.

0 Kudos
meganmanning
Canine II

Checkmate.

0 Kudos