cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: WinOMS Printing - Locks Up

Are you using Word 2016?  If yes i may have a fix for you.  It fixed my Merge issues so may be related.  Make sure Word is closed, then open Task Manager (assuming the problem is active, if you have rebooted no need) and end Word process which i am sure is running (will still be running after a crash).  Then make sure your logged into WinOMS while you do this.  Go to Programdata, Adaptive Server Anywhere 9, there will be a single ini file in the folder, asasrv.ini, if you open it you should see the ip of the server and port, close, Right click copy, go to Windows folder, right click paste.  You will get a prompt you need to be an Administrator just hit okay.  Now whether you need to log out of winoms and login again i don't remember off top of my head, i don't think so.  But then try to print or if your doing a merge do a merge.  I know this fixes the Merge problem but from what your describing i think it will fix the print problem as well because Word is involved.  This issue which i can explain more affects Word 2016, if your using Word 2013 then this fix shouldn't be necessary and i would think is a different problem

FYI for Office 365 users (assuming your not talking about Web Apps) this applies to you to because it defaults to Office 2016 install.

FYII, we're still on 9.1 and we use Windows 10

and don't forget to make changes to word trust settings, that may also help

0 Kudos

Thanks for the input. Tried this to no avail. Currently until WinOMS resolves the Office 2013+ Word compatibility issue in development we just issued a new workflow process when this happens. The end user just closes word if it locks up when trying to print. Simple, but annoying, solution until the development team learns how the new office suite functions. Legacy applications will always have random issues like this. 

Thanks everyone for the cooperation here. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

dillan‌ You'll want to be acquainted with this issue and proposed workarounds.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Steve.  Great news!  I would like you to know that just this morning we loaded WinOMS onto a rocket and sent it into orbit headed for Mars.  When the time comes, we will be THE go to option for OMS software on the red planet!  

Seriously though.....I will get with Matt on this and see what we can do to better the user experience. 

Thank you all for the feed back and info!  Keep it coming

hanlot
Canine II

Hello all,

We are also having issues with printing, multi-location practice and all locations occasionally have printing blips.

We have found one thing to work particularly well, (specifically with printing reports but also printing in WinOMS in general).

It involves deleting 2 registry keys. Users have access to modify these keys even if they are not administrator, has to run under that windows account (or modified to hit all offline user hives).

Close everything before running including WinOMS.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts]

After you run this, log off and back on to your windows desktop. WinOMS techs gave us this one awhile back. It is related more to RDP users but I have found it fixes a lot of printing issues regardless. Definitely one for daily or weekly scheduling.

I too would love a more permanent fix for stability when it comes to WinOMS printing, as of now we have only 1 pc where this fix doesn't work.

Good luck

0 Kudos