cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khill
Canine III

Billing a second parent??

Jump to solution

Morning! Is there anyway to bill a second address? If the parents are not together but both want bills, is there any way to send 2 different parties for the same account a bill when statements are generated? If not how do some of you catch this during batch billing? Whats the most efficient way?

Thanks!

Kelli

15 Replies
omsnashville
Premolar II

Re: Billing a second parent??

Jump to solution

We have one parent sign as "guarantor" on the day of the initial visit. That parent is then responsible for all bills for the minor. If they are separated, it is up to them/the courts to figure out how they want to communicate regarding medical bills. We refuse to get in the middle of custody issues.

khill
Canine III

Jump to solution

That is what we currently do as well, but what do you do if the pt is over 18 and has a different address and parents want the bill sent to them? I don’t think in this system there is any way to bill multiple parties automatically. Is there??

Kelli

Dental Implant Coordinator

Bay Oral Surgery & Implant Center, Ltd

Phone: 920-499-0471

Fax: 920-593-8195

This e-mail is confidential and is intended only for the person(s) named above. Its contents may also be protected by privilege, and all rights to privilege are expressly claimed and not waived. If you have received this e-mail in error, please call us immediately and destroy the entire e-mail. If this e-mail is not intended for you, any reading, distribution, copying or disclosure of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

hnnobelpaula1‌ any input on this? 

0 Kudos
omsnashville
Premolar II

Jump to solution

This would be such a rarity for us, that we would just do it all by hand instead of part of the batch. The automated copies would still go directly to the patient. We find that young adults who don't personally want to pay a large bill are pretty quick to forward it to their parents.

As a courtesy, and by request only, if the parent is on the patient's HIPAA release, we could print out a courtesy copy of the statement (still showing patient's address), but mail it in an opaque envelope with the parent's address on the outside. With it being notated in Contact notes, we would do this for the few statements we issue before we consider for collections, as part of how we work our aged receivables.

Like you, though, I find it a bit puzzling that there is a place to enter a second guarantor in WinOMS, but there doesn't seem to be any real purpose or use for it after it's entered.

sonyap
Premolar II

Jump to solution

Same here.  Whichever parent signed off as the responsible party on the initial paperwork gets the invoices.  If they want to make a copy to send to their ex, that is up to them - not us.

sonyap
Premolar II

Jump to solution

If the patient is over 18 (and not handicapped), the bills go to THEM.  They can give the invoice to their parents if they want them to pay for it.

khill
Canine III

Jump to solution

thanks for the input ladies. Sounds like the way we already do it, is the way it gets done. We came from Windent where there was the guarantor and then secondary billing. In the secondary billing you could check the box for that address to get the bill as well. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something like this we just didn't know about. We also don't get involved in custody issues. In windent it was just nice if dad held the insurance but lived at moms he would be updated as well. 

okmom
Canine II

Jump to solution

We normally add a second address to the pt demo/billing tab/alternate address.  But then we have to add an alert to remember to send the bill or refund checks to the specific member.  I really don't like trying to REMEMBER, because most large offices won't do that for me (as the patient).  I prefer making it the patient responsibility to figure things out.  Just thought I would share another option. You still have to remember to do it manually I guess.

carestreamjoey
Canine III

Jump to solution

Hi Ladies.  I hope all is well.  Just FYI, in WinOMS, you can edit a patient's demographics in the Workspace screen and then click on the "Billing" tab.  In that tab you can have a primary and secondary guarantor with different addresses.  You can also use the rotate button to move the primary to the secondary and vise versa. 

I hope that helps!