cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cromfs
Premolar II

Digital form merge fields should all be available in EMR notes and EMR consent forms

Missing: Age, Dentist.  Also should be able to use highlighter and colored text font.  Trying to convert our last digital form other than HIPAA consent to an EMR consent form and these are what's not available.  Also need to be able to do free form text so that we can get rid of HIPAA consent from digital forms and make it an EMR consent form.

8 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Digital form merge fields should all be available in EMR notes and EMR consent forms

makes sense to me.  I can't think of a reason that we left those out intentionally.

0 Kudos
cromfs
Premolar II

Re: Digital form merge fields should all be available in EMR notes and EMR consent forms

Are we close to having the free form text in EMR consents since digital forms are no longer supported?  We have patients get so frustrated with the HIPAA digital form consent they break our stylus.  Adding signature fields to an EMR consent to do what the HIPAA form does would be even worse since each signature field clocks and one would be required for every person, relationship and phone number to add people to their HIPAA, and then skipping to skip the unneeded fields clocks even longer.  We are about to be forced to do paper HIPAA.

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

There aren't any changes related to "free-form text" coming for Digital Consents in the short term, but I've got the merge field changes on my short list.  I'd like to understand more about what you are doing on the HIPAA form; I was under a potentially out-dated impression that the HIPAA Acknowledgement was a simple "Notice of Privacy Practices" and then a sign-off.

0 Kudos
cromfs
Premolar II

No, we still have to collect who we are allowed to speak to if they were to call on the patient's behalf.  See attached digital form so you can see why signature fields would be too cumbersome.  

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

cromfs‌ I have taken some accounting of what merge fields are available in v9.1.

Age and Dentist (SECCARENAME, et al) are available in EMR Notes.  v9.1 should be available around mid-September.

0 Kudos
omsnashville
Premolar II

We request this information on our registration form, so the patient can just type in (or hand-write) who all we are allowed to speak with. We find that most patients want to list no more than 2 people for HIPAA, though they certainly can if they choose; it's all in one blank anyway. We also have them acknowledge (via check mark) if we can leave detailed voicemails or use email.

They then acknowledge on that same form that they have received a copy of our Privacy Practices. It dramatically streamlined our check-in when we implemented this.

cromfs
Premolar II

This is a brilliant idea.  Would you mind sending me your reg form so I can see how you did it?  Also, if you have updates in the future to your HIPAA, where do you have them resign-do they have to re-register?  Thanks!

omsnashville
Premolar II

We do have our active patients update their registration every 6 months. Sometimes, that means simply reviewing the copy on file and scribbling in "no changes" with an updated signature and date near the bottom. If there are major changes, we do ask for a complete update.

We also have an "Addendum to Patient Information" form that a patient can complete if they only want to change their HIPAA preferences. Usually, they just want to add a contact they previously omitted. We use this form so little that we didn't bother to digitize it at all; it is a paper copy that they complete in office and we scan in (then update our HIPAA Acknowledgement in WinOMS contact notes).

I'll email you, as well.

0 Kudos