cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patshartzer
Canine II

EMR notes: Locks, Push notifications, Posting

We've come across several functions that we would love to see in the EMR notes now that we've used them for several years:

1.  A "push" function that notifies the doctor if he has any unlocked/unsigned notes.  There is a way to search for that information, but why not generate a pop-up that reminds the doctor -every time- s/he logs in that he has notes that are unlocked/signed.

2. Is there a reason that notes can be 'locked' and not 'signed'?  Since every note in a patient's clinical (EMR) note should be signed off by the doctor, why is there a function to Lock?  It seems redundant especially if the note automatically locks when the Signature is applied.

3. We're getting A LOT of push-back from insurance companies asking for clinical notes and requesting specific working in the clinical notes before they will even consider a claim.  As practice administrators, I'm sure we've seen EMR notes that wouldn't pass for a clinical note.  I've seen and talked to some practices that no longer use a ticket function or even a routing slip, but have resorted to posting based off of the EMR note.  This has forced providers and surgical assistants to be more comprehensive with their note and more complete, but it also means less hassle with the insurance companies and an increase in reimbursements.  I would love to see a "billing" function in the EMR note (not separate) that would generate a ticket based on the procedures and diagnosis described in the note.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  

Thanks!!

2 Replies
omsnashville
Premolar II

Re: EMR notes: Locks, Push notifications, Posting

As an addendum to #1, I think it would be especially helpful if WinOMS would prompt the doctor, before logging off for the day, "There are unsigned EMR Notes/Consents from your schedule today; are you sure you want to log off?"

Some practices might want this feature to be something you could disable in the practice settings.

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: EMR notes: Locks, Push notifications, Posting

patshartzer

On #2, I remember when we designed the feature we had done that deliberately, we wanted a way to lock a note in case the doctor never got around the signing it, for a variety of reasons including 

• allowing a level of edit prevention that is deeper than the security settings,
  • providing a mechanism to mark that a note is "done," and
  • enabling a staff member to finish notes that may not require doctor sign-off.

These reasons may not make sense anymore, and if that's the case, let me know.  Otherwise, I am always open to hearing about how your workflow is different, especially if this "feature" gets in the way.

0 Kudos