cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jawdoc
Canine III

EMR questions

Hello,

We are finally transitioning to electronic records and I have some questions for EMR users.  Do you use a signature pad or tablet for patients to sign treatment plan estimates and where do you save those?  Where do you save benefit information notes?  How are you doing task lists?  We currently use a lot of sticky notes...

Thanks!

Labels (1)
12 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: EMR questions

For task lists that require existing reports, do that with Contact Experts.  You can create on-screen reports that are "current," that enable you to interact directly with the data in the report.  These Contact Experts can be assigned to users, essentially creating a work list that you can assign to individual staff.

0 Kudos
omsnashville
Premolar II

Hello!

For treatment plans, we print the Treatment Proposal and write their amount due on the form. We have the patient sign, scan in the signed copy, then return it to the patient as their take-home copy, so there is no paper waste. Thus, we save them as an attachment/document.

For our benefits, we have PDF forms that we attach to the chart, then fill out. Some of our insurance coordinators prefer to write this info down with a pen, so we don't begrudge them that; they just print the PDF first, complete the blanks, and just scan it in after the fact. We will notate in the Contact Notes what is to be collected, so that our receptionists have easy, clear access to that info.

I hope this helps!

jpisariktnosi
Premolar I

I'll echo Kristina with the treatment proposals. I've got a letter that merges the treatment plan onto a word document that our staff fills in to show expected coverage as well as company financial policy. That then gets scanned into the account. We also do a printed form for getting insurance benefits and then fill it out and scan it in. The girls like having a physical copy because they can keep a physical file going with insurances that aren't ready to be called yet (we like to call as soon as possible to the appointment date). Once a surgery is scheduled, the amount due is put in the appointment note. Tasks are up to the individuals, but yeah, we go through a lot of sticky notes, too. That or docking the pt to ourselves with a "to-do" note.

While we save a lot of paper by not printing EVERYTHING, there's still just a lot that has to be done on paper.

jawdoc
Canine III

Hi Kristina and Janelle,

Thank  you for the information.  Do you save the Treatment Proposals as a non clinical attachment in the EMR tab of the patient account?  Do you do the same for insurance benefit information?  Did you create a category for each of them? Do you use the Contact Expert for task lists like Matt suggests?

Thanks!!

Jenn

omsnashville
Premolar II

Yes- we save both as non-clinical (usually as PDF) in the Workspace Tab (since that's where our insurance coordinators are working). I generally attach mine via the little paper clip attachment button that stays at the top of both screens.

Yes, we did create an Image Category for each- "Insurance Benefits" and "Treatment Plan".

I'm not completely clear what you mean by "task lists", but I will concede that we have probably under-utilized the Expert reports. We have used them for recalls and updating authorizations, and also the confirmation screen inside the scheduler, but that is about all. Most everything else, we work through the day's schedule, then build our own to-do lists (outside WinOMS) by what gets docked to us or arrives in our inbox. I'm currently using Microsoft One Note to help me organize my to-do list.

0 Kudos
jpisariktnosi
Premolar I

Despite working halfway across the country from each other, we do the same as Kristina for all points! We save them as non-clinical and created image or document categories for each. We save EOBs and prior auths the same way. We also do not hardly ever use the Contact Expert. I hadn't known about it until the CareStream conference, and it looks like it might be quite valuable, but we never got training on it and I haven't had the time to explore it, so I can't be much help to you on that front.

0 Kudos
jawdoc
Canine III

By task list I mean a list of tasks to complete for the patient before surgery like contact general practitioner, obtain complete meds list, schedule patient in OR, etc.  I appreciate your comments!  It's so interesting to see how other offices run.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
jpisariktnosi
Premolar I

Ah. For this, we actually use the contact notes and appointment notes. Our appointment note has spots for everything we need: new or previous pt, what they are having done, what's happening with their xray and referral, their insurance status, and amount they will owe. So something like: "NP/ext #31 local/call for xray/sending referral/ins in file" Anything else gets put as an alert or contact note that gets checked by various departments when they are prepping charts a few days ahead of time.

0 Kudos
omsnashville
Premolar II

^^^  Ditto.

Janelle and I may, in fact, be working for the same practice and not know it.