cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khill
Canine III

More setting choices, less uniform updates?

Jump to solution

Our office just updated from the 9.0 to the 9.1 version. Every time we go into workspace the screen automatically gets smaller. When you make it full screen but then click for example new stage or edit demographics, it once again goes back to small screen. It understand it is easy to make the screen smaller or larger. When I asked if there was a setting so each office could choose which way they would prefer to have their screens, I was told the large workspace screen was a huge complaint due to not feeling as though offices could multitask between schedule and workspace for example.

Maybe another solution to being able to multitask would be allowing for the system to split screen. That way you can look at the schedule and have EMR or workspace open. I think that would also make it easier to ensure you are working on the correct patient before putting in the schedule in case you forget to alt R. Not having split screens does not make sense, but defaulting a screen size seems to?? Is there anyway that split screens can happen with the whole system, not just the x-rays? Why couldn't the bigger smaller workspace screen been a setting instead of making it uniform? After all, isn't that why there is a maximize/minimize button?

I feel as though there isn't a lot of communication between the customers and the programmers. I know you are a large company and surely can not get everyone's opinion on how things should change. That would be silly and not everyone is going to be on the same page. I get majority rules, but again settings, that way offices can choose what they want the system to do. Split screens would be very beneficial to this system. I feel like every office would benefit from being able to look at the schedule and demographics on 2 screens if they wanted vs making the schedule smaller and workspace smaller just to see them both side by side. I am grateful that other things did happen with this update like the inactive prescriptions no longer show up as an option to print, the system "thinks" less and moves quicker. I just feel like out of all the things that could have been updated the smaller screen seems like it could have easily been a "work around". Maybe having the schedule automatically refresh when a new appointment is added, or each appointment being one solid block instead of looking like 3 different appointments with the white line in between, or the referral data base not kicking you out of the system when you try to add a referral to the demographics or in the implant tab, workspace not maximizing the full screen (thankful that EMR does utilize that), the fact that I have to close my email every time I want to print a label as a "work around" bc with windows 10 and the new email, support says that's what I need to do for it to print. 

I'm sorry if this came across as rude, as that is not my intention. I know designing software and making all your clients happy is not an easy thing to do,  but as a practice with 4 offices and 6 doctors there are a lot of not user friendly things about this system that make daily tasks very frustrating. 

Maybe all these things are a work in process and we don't know about it. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, 

Kelli 

13 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: More setting choices, less uniform updates?

Jump to solution

Kelli! I am very thankful for your input.  I certainly didn't consider it rude at all, just open and honest.  This is your business, you work with these tools every day.  We need your feedback and are grateful for it.  

I would consider the Patient window size a "work in progress" -- we will make smaller adjustments soon to the Patient Workspace, and hopefully some useful edits to improve your workflow as well.  We are working hard to make it so that the software can help you rather than get in your way, but when we miss something we need to hear it from you.

This is a great place to get your voice heard!  I am paying attention to all opinions here, as are our design and development teams.  We cannot accommodate every change, but we are doing our best to "appeal to the majority" (as you said) where it makes sense, and also provide other logical enhancements to help the underserved at times, too.

Keep in touch.  Look for us to provide updates in January about what we think will be coming up next.

r4488
Canine II

Jump to solution

Kelli !    My staff and I applaud you for being open and voicing your statement: "I feel as though there isn't a lot of communication between the customers and the programmers."

And especially, " there are a lot of not user friendly things about this system that make daily tasks very frustrating."

I have a lot to say about this, but don't know how many users have time to read this and agree that these user-UNfriendly aggravations we encounter patient after patient need evaluated.

But taking your cue, I will say that we have been using the program since 1999 with its various company changes and updates. We remain amazed that each new update carries forward the very same user-UNfriendly frustrations with the most basic moment-to-moment daily tasks. We are a small, one provider office and utilize only the most basic functions of the WINOMS program. Because of that, we respect that much attention must be given to the larger technical support of large, complex practices who utilize all the sophistication the program offers.

HOWEVER!  We can't help but wonder if we could sit beside users in the large, complex practices...if we wouldn't find them dealing with the same maddening small-but-aggravating user-UNfriendly problems (like what you've described and as "small" as the time arrow on the appt screen being so tiny). I've assumed these ongoing minor, but frustrating aggravations are experienced by most, but not addressed in The Exchange because first priority must be given to the larger important issues.

For years, we kept a list of these small, continually aggravating design problems that likely would take very little to modify. I even presented several to an administrator, Sue Griffin, years ago who agreed with her developer that they were very valid improvements and would be included in the next update. Never have been.

When The Exchange began, I spent time typing up this accumulated list of small things that would reduce stress, increase productive time and create more rather than less goodwill toward the software. I submitted it to someone at Carestream who supposedly welcomed it and who I understood was working on development in this arena and never heard one word in response. Not even an acknowledgement that it was received!

SO YES!  I think you're spot-on with "I feel as though there isn't a lot of communication between the customers and the programmers."  The Exchange appears to be a good opportunity for this, but reading months and months of staff taking time to post and seeing one after the other (apparently) fade...I wonder if this site is more about the "appearance" of caring, but little has or will actually improve except maybe true glitches.

Now I've stepped out here with my complaints--like Kelli, not wanting to be rude. But--if I was in charge of a Carestream product, I would be eager to be certain that a developer was focused on improving the most basic functionality of the software where our clients spend precious moments in frustration and aggravation, creating good instead of ill-will toward the software and Carestream.

"Likes" to this post will probably be few if any, primarily because few staff will see it, let alone have time to read it...and if they do they know there's nothing to come of it.  Sorry, but over 15 years this has proven it so.

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

Pam! I encourage you to share your list of small things on the community by creating "Ideas" of them.  Sometimes a long honeydew ("Honey, please do") list can get lost in the conversations here, but creating unique ideas that we can all discuss individually and vote on may help to push them forward. From the main WinOMS page, you can click on a link called "Ideas" and from that page you can review all the latest ideas and create new ones as well.

Carestream Dental Exchange WinOMS ideas link

You can also email me your list; i'm happy to receive it and process it and let you know what is possible.  I realize you do not have a lot of confidence there, but I might surprise you.  I can't promise that I can get everything on your list done, but I can tell you honestly about the status of any and all of your requests.  Send me your list and we can have a chat after that.

0 Kudos
r4488
Canine II

Jump to solution

Thank you, Matt, for responding. You're right, I am not confident taking the time and effort to post "the list" idea by idea on the community site would come to anything more than wasted effort. To be open and honest once more---it does appear from following The Exchange from inception--that users may initially participate with optimistic hope of registering their problems, but there is little evidence I see that a sufficient number of users are actually reading posts based on the very limited responses. And for some number of us, it takes time and effort to even track down and follow a discussion.

IF you/Carestream are using the number of Likes, votes or comments to determine popularity or the need to address a posted suggestion, need or concern---then I haven't seen any that carry enough weight. Unless I am missing more than the very few of well-responded posts, I have been sorely disappointed in the lack of responses from users. If there are responses, the discussion seems to die quickly. If there is the lack I observe, it is two-fold--who has the time to monitor and read all the posts and who can afford that time when nearly none of them have true, effective follow-up?

I would like to email you our list when I can find time. But unless your developers are required to sit in a real or simulated fast-paced "front desk" setting for 10 days or more---the suggestions may seem trivial and why they have never been "seen" or addressed through the years in ongoing updates.

It's unfortunate that this exchange on this discussion from Kelli to here will likely be buried and virtually unread. I so, letting you assume the complaints Kelli and I have about the aggravation of daily tasks carry no real validity.

Once again, I cannot imagine how a company such as Carestream can put forth the effort of The Exchange and have missed the value of improving basic functionality for years and years.

0 Kudos
khill
Canine III

Jump to solution

Pam, 

Thank you so much for your support. Its nice to know other offices have the same concerns as we do. I agree that whether the office is a one doctor, one office practice or a 4 clinic 6 doctor practice, concerns are universal. I apologize carestream has not taken your concerns seriously in the past. Matt does seem to reply quickly and again we both know there is only so much that can be done as developing does take time. I "joke" with our IT guys all the time about making our own software so it does what we want it to do and more importantly what we NEED it to do. Work arounds are not a permanent answer in my book, and if that's the answer I am given than I surely hope the person in support has done what they needed to do to get that to some one to fix. For the most part, there are things we do like better about this system (the posting history, quicker to edit and add insurance information, dock patients and stage tracking are all great) than with our previous Windent that we had. However, Windent scheduler was much better, the split screens were better, the insurance and posting much less complex. I know we cant always have the best of everything but that's what we want   I also agree that the updates we have had, besides the new EMR which we were lucky enough after much begging, to be apart of the beta testers group, have actually seemed to update the things we liked the way they were. Maybe each update should come with a warning..lol. 

Best of luck on your list Pam, I truly hope you get at least some of your concerns fixed in an upcoming update. 

Kelli 

khill
Canine III

Jump to solution

Hey Matt,

Thanks for your response. I know I said it before about settings, and I do know settings are tricky when programming bc you need to have multiple ways to write it into the system now vs the "this is it, this is what you get" by making it universal.  I have been to the carestream meetings and met with support and practically had to harass everyone in order to get us to be part of the beta testers with the updated EMR last year, well 2016. We are grateful we were able to be apart of that. If there was some sort of committee for ideas I really feel as though our office would be of great value. I'm sure plenty of other offices feel the same way. I know this forum is a nice way to voice ideas, but to be honest, like you said "This is your business, you work with these tools every day.  We need your feedback and are grateful for it." We do work with this system every day, and tbh I think we have a pretty good handle on this system and are using it more ways than probably a lot of other offices do. The letters are a disaster in this system. We had to make templates and use them in EMR vs the letter tab in workspace, bc legally how do u just say oh ya a letter was sent, but cant open it? Who wants to make the letter, print the letter, scan in the letter when you can just make a template for it. Down fall, now there are more things in EMR that maybe the most important person, AKA the Dr, doesn't really want to see clogging up EMR. We make it work for us which has been somewhat of a challenge not only for us but I think depending on who you get in support for them as well bc they don't understand why we are doing it this way. We often get "This isn't how its supposed to be done, "oh did you know this and this". Yes we do, did you know its not useful for our office which is why we created a way for it to work for us?

No offense to the 800 offices who complained about the screens being to large, but are those really the concerns that are making the top of the list? Bigger and smaller is more important that accurate reports? More important than just being able to hit print in EMR without having to always convert to a PDF 1st? IDK, I guess we all have different priorities. 

I don't like to end things on a negative note, so I will say that I am impressed with the fact that someone does take time to read in these discussions. I do like that this forum exists as well. Please let me know if there is anything I can do, besides complain

omsnashville
Premolar II

Jump to solution

Kelli, I love some of these ideas!

YES to split screens! When MS Windows added that functionality, it was a whole new world to me. If WinOMS can make that happen, Hallelujah!!!  The doctors have especially expressed a desire to be able to have the x-ray open, as well as another window (referral, EMR note). I know WinOMS is trying to prevent the need for 14 different windows to pop open independently for x-ray, referral, EMR, etc (and therefore all have to be closed separately, too), but a small level of this would be instrumental.

YES to printing EMR without merge to PDF first. Again, small, but a cumulatively significant time drag in a fast-paced office.

I also agree that there needs to be a way to have a saved Letter on file. The Merge Letters function was created before time began before EMR was a realistic concept, so it definitely could use an update like that.

And as Matt said, it is HUGELY helpful to us other OMS offices to have your input on here- where we can all participate and provide our feedback and insight on our own time, without having to attend meetings that involve coding discussions outside our knowledge base. It's impossible for just a couple of us to articulate all the ideas/suggestions floating around our own offices (7 docs/7 offices for me!), but if we voice what we can remember on here, it gives the rest of us users a chance to say, "Oh, yeah! We've needed that, too!" And from there, the developers can better assess popularity and priority of changes.

So thank you for sharing!!

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

There is a class/presentation/speech/lecture in here somewhere, not sure where yet, but while every office is exactly the same (all oral surgery practices using WinOMS providing similar services using similar tools for patients who have similar expectations) we all know that every office is totally different (from how they practice, what they focus on, how they deliver service, and what they value, to office design and layout, technology infrastructure, staffing levels and capabilities, and geographic nuances to name a few).

I am very interested in solving your workflow problems.  This includes removing things that are "clogging up EMR" and addressing a difficult process to managing patient communication (omsnashville‌ I love your use of the strikethrough).  

I would like to make these changes incrementally, a little bit at a time, so that they don't splash down in your office and cause trauma to your staff and your process.  

And I love that you are here participating.  Thank you for that, and for being a beta tester!

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Jump to solution

The discussion on The Exchange is just one of the many sources of inputs we get to help influence the future design.  It is valuable, but not the only place we look to.  It's also a great place for you to meet us and for us to engage more closely with the extremely active and interested users.

I would like to assure you that I will spend at least 10 days in open oral surgery practices every year.  Sometimes I show up on my own, but often I bring a variety of team members along with me: software designers, sales, marketing, and developers. In my years with Carestream Dental, I have spent hundreds of days in offices like yours and I believe that experience has helped me be more understanding to your needs.  What I am able to learn by actually seeing you in action is invaluable.