cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmeyer
Canine II

Problem with Acrobat Reader DC slowing down WinOMS

The issue is one that i have tested on multiple machines.  On computers where Acrobat Reader DC is the PDF viewer for WinOMS it's causing WinOMS to freeze up, a lot of times it's when the preview window displays, then you try to move to another area of WinOMS.  It just sits there thinking then finally will go to the next screen.  On computers that have Acrobat 9 Standard (it's an old version i know but it's what they have) there is no problem when it's the default PDF viewer for WinOMS.  No freezes ups, Hiccups, works as normal.  I have seen this at two different practices.  It happens whether it's Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows 10.  I eliminated as many variables as possible and it's the same result (Security, Application Conflicts, Networking etc).  I have looked through settings in Acrobat DC thinking maybe it was some sort of security option or whatnot and nothing fixes the problem other than to uninstall Acrobat Reader DC and install Acrobat 9 Standard.  I don't know if 10, 11 version of Reader or Standard/Pro would work or not.  I can download the older reader but you have to purchase a newer version of Acrobat Standard/Pro.  Still on WinOMS 9.1 so not sure if going to 9.2 will help or not.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
steve132221
Canine III

Re: Problem with Acrobat Reader DC slowing down WinOMS

We are also experiencing this issue on a couple workstations. Instead of slowing WinOMS down, though, it just crashes when we try to open a PDF on these workstations. I've tried re-downloading Adobe Reader, as well as updating from 9.1 to 9.2, but it seems as though the problem still stays.

S

0 Kudos
bmeyer
Canine II

Have you tried using an older version of Adobe Reader? I didn’t try that because the client had access to older version of Acrobat Standard

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

matt.ackerman‌ any input on this? 

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

I was not aware of an existing issue with Adobe, and as a part of the testing suite prior to ever release we test integrated software products (like Adobe Acrobat Reader).  I am not certain which versions were tested during the latest releases of v9.1 or v9.2. Regardless, I do not think that updating from v9.1 to v9.2 will eliminate the issue.

I will forward this to the Support team for further review.

0 Kudos
bmeyer
Canine II

I thought it was very strange myself because I had assumed the same, that you would have tested it with the DC version of Acrobat which up until recently was the latest version of Acrobat (2017 is now out). Because I found a solution I didn’t contact Carestream about this, but it was a problem that started when 9.0 first came out. And didn’t get fixed (at least for the two clients I service) after updating to 9.1.

And I promise you that I tested till the cows come home trying to figure out what was going on and it all pointed back to Acrobat Reader DC.

0 Kudos
bmeyer
Canine II

So after updating to 9.3 i installed Acrobat DC Reader on a computer, set it as the PDF option in computer settings, it would hang like before.  Closed WinOms and went into the preferences of adobe, turned of the protected mode and protected mode at startup under i believe security or advanced security.  Went back into WinOMS and it worked normally, no hanging when trying to view PDF or switching away from a screen that was previewing a PDF.  Now I had tried that in 9.1 with no success but it is working now

FYI had no trouble updating to 9.3 for server or any of the workstations, i do have one workstation which is experiencing random crashing and i am going to make a separate post about it

0 Kudos