cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WinOMS Printing - Locks Up

Here's one for WinOMS support.. tried calling via phone but the phone support hasn't been much help whatsoever.

Sometimes when Word is open WinOMSCS locks up until word is closed when trying to print from WinOMS. This is proven by analyzing the mdcs.exe wait chain. MDCS.exe is waiting for WINWORD.exe for an unknown reason as of now. WinOMS support has no idea whats going on and blame Kyocera printers or Word. This office has been fine printing to Kyocera printers for a long time before version 9.0. We upgraded to 9.2 recently and still get the same behavior. Why is WinOMS waiting for word to print? This issue is also more random than consistent. Nothing seems to "cause" this to happen. Would like some second opinions on this issue because I am at a loss and the support isn't any help. Thank you!

24 Replies
cleizer
Canine III

Re: WinOMS Printing - Locks Up

Bump

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bump

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Having an issue with our letters taking forever to print from mail merge in the software. Could this be related?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Annette,

Did this start recently? I can call your office and at look at the issue if you like. My gut feeling is that  it's  not related to the above thread.

Feel free to email me and we can arrange a time to discuss this further!

Thanks,

Howie

email address:  howard.nobel@csdental.com

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

We had the same lag issue and were told that it was an issue with the 9.2 update and they are "working" on it...no solution as of yet. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anna,

v9.2 was released about 4 weeks ago and the issue was reported at that time. Development is, amongst other things, had started working on the issue when it was reported. I don't have an ETA on any fix. If you can send me your contact information I can reach out to you and we can discuss this a bit further!

Thanks,

Howie

0 Kudos

So far what were able to figure out is that clearing out %username%\AppData\Local\Temp seems to work. Has something to do with letter merging and then printing when Word is open (leaving the letter merges open). Clearing out the temp directory a few times when it was locked cleared the issue. It also has not come back yet.. so we wrote a script to clear out %TEMP% daily instead of monthly/weekly until this issue is resolved with development. 

We found this out by using Process Monitor, Process Explorer (dumping the active mdcs.exe) to figure this out. 

Any IT providers can use this simple script to run daily on the workstations. Be sure the scheduled script starts in the current user's temp directory.

del *.* /s /q.

I will let our clients know that this is a bug and its still being sorted out in v9.2. For now this work around seems to be working. (Issue was happening multiple times a day. So far its been 2 days with no lock up.)

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Howie, No this issue did not start recently, it's been going on since we switched to the cloud in September but it was one of the more minor issues. This week is bad for me but I would be available next week on Monday or Tuesday morning between 8:00am and noon EST. If neither of these days work for you just let me know and I will arrange another time/day. My office number is (304)428-2800.

Thanks, Annette

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

We have been having this same issue for years now (versions 8 and 9). We run Office 365, and we are typically using Word and Outlook, and when either of these programs are open, WinOMS freezes when trying to print. I have reached out many times to support, but the issue seems to remain.

0 Kudos