cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpisariktnosi
Premolar I

eScribing thoughts?

My 4 providers are considering purchasing ePrescriptions. To those of you using it, what are your thoughts and what are some issues you have? Our biggest concern is that it will be extra time for the provider; currently, the assistants print the prescriptions and the doctor simply looks them over and signs them. How much extra admin work does it take for the doctors to do the ePrescriptions vs just signing a printed prescription?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
enspire
Canine III

Re: eScribing thoughts?

We tried it, and it was not a good experience for us.  Very time consuming.  And you have to go through a lengthy process for each prescription.  It is so much easier just to print it.  You are locked in for a year after you sign on too, so we were stuck and didn't even use it.  

rich_omsafw
Canine II

We have 6 providers spread over 5 offices.  We decided to setup 3 doctors to use eRX at one office as a test.  The initial process was a nightmare.  Lots of steps to get setup but once we were able to start using it, the staff prefer it over writing scripts.  They said it does add a little time but not much and the more you use it the more it learns and makes using it the next time easier.  We recently had a meeting with staff and the 3 doctors to determine if we wanted to bring others on board and go practice wide and no one wanted to go back to writing them.  We are now adding the other 3 providers and will be rolling out across all offices.  Our patients at that office, love it.  They said it makes it nice that they can swing through pharmacy on way home and pick up instead of dropping off and picking up later so the little extra time was worth it.  Hope this helps.

jpisariktnosi
Premolar I

Thanks! I'm passing all responses on to our doctors. There was some talk that maybe we'd only use it occasionally or only for narcotics, but this will help them know that doing fewer might actually be *more* work.

0 Kudos
rich_omsafw
Canine II

The more you use it and save your preference in it the better it goes.  If the doctor always give 15 vicodin pills then that can be saved as his preference so when vicodin is entered the quantity and frequency is filled in too.  Once you have sent a script for a patient, you can save that pharmacy as their default so you don't have to pick next time.  If you specific questions, let me know and I can try to help out.

0 Kudos
omsnashville
Premolar II

Speaking as a patient, our prescriptions take FOREVER to arrive at the pharmacy because of the clearinghouse delays. I see my doctor send the eRx while we are still in the exam room, but I cannot just "swing by" the pharmacy to pick up on our way home from the doctor. It has taken up to an hour for the pharmacy to even receive the request from the clearing house, nevermind the pharmacy's internal processing time to run benefits and prep the Rx (another 10-20 minutes). My husband uses a different pharmacy and has experienced the same thing.

jpisariktnosi
Premolar I

Oh that's interesting. I guess it wouldn't be as long of a wait if we shot all the prescriptions for the day over in the morning, but that would involve getting a lot of very specific info from the patient at the consult when they might not even know what location they are going to for surgery. Good point!

0 Kudos
rich_omsafw
Canine II

During our testing, we did not have that long delay.  I personally sent several scripts to a pharmacy from a dummy account.  I would always call a few minutes later to make sure they saw the note to not fill and they had the script already.  I asked the staff about this today and they said they get no complaints about a delay with sending.  If it takes an hour for a script to get to pharmacy, that is a problem.

0 Kudos