Matt Ackerman

Posting an Insurance Payment with a Credit Card

Discussion created by Matt Ackerman Employee on Mar 30, 2017
Latest reply on May 3, 2017 by dianeyoung

A growing trend for insurance companies is to remit payments to providers using credit cards instead of via electronic deposit or on a standard paper check.  I am sure that there are lots of benefits to the insurance company to do this, including allowing the payer to reuse the credit card number on future reimbursement.  However, this is causing grief for plenty of dental providers.  While it is possible for you to request that the insurance carrier provide you payment using a "standard" method, several payers are resisting this.  

Posting these payments in PracticeWorks today is not an easy thing.  We realize the complication of trying to post the credit card payment to the account when it doesn't affect the expected insurance amount.  I fully support a change in one of the upcoming releases that will address this issue, and I am pushing for this to be included in the release that immediately follows v8.0 with Line Item Accounting.

In the meantime, let us know if this is affecting you in your practice, and how you are dealing with it today.  Perhaps you have a unique workaround that might benefit another practice while we seek to address this in a future release. 

Outcomes