You might have noticed that if you want to use WinOMS to print prescriptions for controlled substances in the District of Columbia, you need to have some very specific information on the form. Specifically, prescription drug orders shall contain the following information:
- Full name, address, telephone number, and DEA registration number of prescriber
- Original, legal signature of prescriber
- Date of issuance
- Name and address of patient
- Name, strength, quantity of drug prescribed, directions for use, number of refills, when applicable
- Prescriber’s D.C. controlled substance registration number
That last one was a real doozy, but as of v9.1, we have you covered.
Once you have updated to version 9.1 (or greater) you can follow these steps to get your D.C. prescriptions to print out the way you need them to. First step, update your Office table (Tables => Practice => Office) and select the D.C. prescription format. Then, update your Providers table for each provider in the practice (Tables => Practice => Providers) and add your D.C. controlled substance registration number as an "Alternate License" into the Rx ID section on the Provider Info tab. This will print out as a "CS" number (stands for controlled substance) underneath the DEA number on the prescription.