cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
braceyourself07
Canine III

Outlook Cloud

Jump to solution

Anyone having issues with Outlook Cloud (the Office 2010 deployment with Orthotrac Cloud) lately? Some of my workstations are popping up with a dialog box asking for the outlook profile's username and password but entering the password just results in it popping up again immediately.  Some of the workstations do work properly, while others don't.  One workstation can't even get into Outlook Cloud because it keeps saying it's unable to connect.  We are using Office 365 so we have our email accounts set up as an Exchange account in Outlook 2010.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prcarter

Re: Outlook Cloud

Jump to solution

Good day Mike ( @braceyourself07 ),

I'll give you the bad news up front -- most of the time when users are having issues with their email account we have to have them contact their email provider for assistance. The Outlook Cloud program is essentially just a remotely running copy of Microsoft Outlook and it is in turn dependent on properly entered information in email configuration. 

That said, I can offer a few suggestions, but I'm a bit confused about your setup.  Using an Office 365 email account is not the same thing as using a Microsoft Exchange email account -- the first uses standard IMAP / SMTP  email servers for incoming and outgoing email and the other uses an actual Exchange server for the email routing.  

You can certainly use the Mail Control Panel program you mentioned to check your email settings. We have that shortcut published for offices who need to be able to check email settings without actually opening the program, or who need to manage multiple accounts on the same Citrix user ID.   Assuming your setup is an Office 365-hosted setup, the following info is taken from MS's public pages on setting up an "Office 365" account for use with Outlook:

-- The logon username must be entered as the full email address. Email address format will vary but will usually be in the format username@office365.com . The incoming server is outlook.office365.com and the outgoing email server is smtp.office365.com.

-- In the Outgoing Server tab, place a check in the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box (this setting is absolutely required for Office 365 hosted setups).

-- In the Advanced tab select the security protocol for incoming and outgoing servers:

Office 365:
Incoming server: uses SSL protocol, port 993.
Outgoing server: uses TLS protocol, port 587.

If you are using an actual Microsoft Exchange account then none of these settings will apply. Setup for an Exchange account is configured by selecting to add a new account in Outlook, selecting "Manually configure server settings" and then selecting the option for "Microsoft Exchange or compatible service".  Unfortunately, walkthrough of Exchange setup is too complex to be covered here and would need to be addressed by your email hosting provider. 

I hope this answers your questions!

Regards,

Phil Carter / OrthoTrac Escalations

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
braceyourself07
Canine III

Jump to solution

Ah, I have discovered the "Mail Control Panel" icon for the cloud services.  I'll use this to troubleshoot the workstation where Outlook Cloud won't connect.  But still curious why the others are having issues sending mail.

0 Kudos
braceyourself07
Canine III

Jump to solution

Unfortunately no help from the Mail Control Panel. When I click on anything it just stops responding

Li9Eh0FSgHNG.png

0 Kudos
prcarter

Jump to solution

I'll give you the bad news up front -- most of the time when users are having issues with their email account we have to have them contact their email provider for assistance. The Outlook Cloud program is essentially just a remotely running copy of Microsoft Outlook and it is in turn dependent on properly entered information in email configuration. 

That said, I can offer a few suggestions, but I'm a bit confused about your setup.  Using an Office 365 email account is not the same thing as using a Microsoft Exchange email account -- the first uses standard IMAP / SMTP  email servers for incoming and outgoing email and the other uses an actual Exchange server for the email routing.  

You can certainly use the Mail Control Panel program you mentioned to check your email settings. We have that shortcut published for offices who need to be able to check email settings without actually opening the program, or who need to manage multiple accounts on the same Citrix user ID.   Assuming your setup is an Office 365-hosted setup, the following info is taken from MS's public pages on setting up an "Office 365" account for use with Outlook:

-- The logon username must be entered as the full email address. Email address format will vary but will usually be in the format username@office365.com . The incoming server is outlook.office365.com and the outgoing email server is smtp.office365.com.

-- In the Outgoing Server tab, place a check in the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box (this setting is absolutely required for Office 365 hosted setups).

-- In the Advanced tab select the security protocol for incoming and outgoing servers:

Office 365:
Incoming server: uses SSL protocol, port 993.
Outgoing server: uses TLS protocol, port 587.

If you are using an actual Microsoft Exchange account then none of these settings will apply. Setup for an Exchange account is configured by selecting to add a new account in Outlook, selecting "Manually configure server settings" and then selecting the option for "Microsoft Exchange or compatible service".  Unfortunately, walkthrough of Exchange setup is too complex to be covered here and would need to be addressed by your email hosting provider. 

I hope this answers your questions!

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
braceyourself07
Canine III

Jump to solution

Hey Phil, thanks for the detailed response.  I understand where you're coming from.  I would consider myself a power user and have used email since the early 1990's and familiar with setting things up manually in an email client, but this has still baffled me.

Yes, we use Office 365 and each of our staff have their own email account.  From my understanding, I cannot set up IMAP in Outlook 2010 because the mail server will reject an attempt to connect to it.  And the only way to get it to work is to set up the email account in Outlook 2010 as an Exchange account.  This is what I have done since last year when we switched to Office 365 and it has worked great until recently. And yes, I set it up via the steps where you have to choose "Microsoft Exchange or compatible service"

Either way, I'm not able to get into Outlook 2010 to troubleshoot any of the settings because of the "The server is unavailable" error.

My staff member on this affected computer can access her email on Outlook (locally).  But the goal here is that she needs to email an x-ray from Orthotrac Cloud, so we have to go through the steps of exporting the image from imaging, save it on the local computer desktop, then open Outlook and send from there.

ENLPg4NPvvQ2.png

0 Kudos
prcarter

Jump to solution

If you can't get into Outlook directly you should be able to use the Mail Control Panel application to modify the account directly.  I see the MCP window open in the screenshot you provided but I can't quite tell whether you are using that or whether you're trying to change settings through Outlook Cloud itself. You *should* be able to follow the below steps to change the account through Mail Control Panel:

1. Open the Mail Control Panel app.
2. Click E-Mail Accounts.
3. Double-click the account you wish to modify.
4. Make any necessary changes. If the account must be deleted entirely, click Remove at step 3 to remove the account entirely. Then click New to set up the account from scratch. Note that doing this will not delete any emails since all Cloud email is done through IMAP or Exchange accounts, which store email on the server.

NOTE: In some rare cases, you can't even get the 'Email Accounts' from Mail Control Panel itself to open correctly because the profile is too badly damaged or the profile still keeps reporting "The server is unavailable"  (I am guessing this is the case given the screenshot you provided).  In cases like this, select the Show Profiles button, then click Remove to remove the existing profile. Click Apply to make the change, then select Add to create a new profile and name it "Outlook". Note that doing this will not delete any emails since all Cloud email is done through IMAP or Exchange accounts, which store email on the server. You will then need to set up the email account again.

Regards,

0 Kudos
braceyourself07
Canine III

Jump to solution
Yes, that was the case... the MCP app would lock up. I followed your instructions to remove the Profile and that did the trick! I thought about doing that but I didn't want to break anything further.

I'll investigate with Office 365 to see if there is a setting that I need to change to get SMTP to work.

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos