cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paule2711
Canine II

Re: Paperless Transition

We ended up scanning and shredding them ourselves for better control of the contents - probably over the course of a year or maybe more.  We did look into a scanning and shredding service here in NJ, which I can recommend if someone would prefer to outsource. 

We still have all the x-rays in storage however. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
joedindo
Premolar III

Did you scan the chart contents separately or into one PDF file?  I'm asking because if we want to go back and look at the visit notes, I'd not want to have to scroll through a long file to do so

0 Kudos
paule2711
Canine II

We chose to scan our old documents into one PDF.  But, we have been using PW Charting for the last 6 years or so and digital imaging since 2005.  So our need to access old paper documents is very infrequent. 

If someone is just beginning to go "chartless" I would recommend easing into it.  Begin scanning all new documents and use a marker in your chart to distinguish scanned from unscanned.  This will allow people to get comfortable with the process while retaining the document for reference if needed in case of loss.

0 Kudos
sonyap
Premolar III

One of my docs would like to know how you scanned in all of the hard copy xrays -  Did you use a service? Did you scan them manually?  Did you just put them all in storage?

0 Kudos
sonyap
Premolar III

I would be interested in knowing this as well.

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

During a recent office visit to a large multi-practice site I asked this question. These practices did not scan in charts. They simply went chartless and referred to the paper charts as needed. The office said it saved them a tremendous amount of time. They also found there were very few instances they needed to reference the paper chart. 

0 Kudos
paule2711
Canine II

Using both is fine, but we decided to enhance of office space in lieu of chart storage.  One you develop your system it becomes very simple.  When you think about it; you have to handle the document anyway.  So whether you choose to scan it or go file it, it's pretty much the same.  But now that it's scanned, retrieval is so much quicker and easier.

0 Kudos
paule2711
Canine II

To: sonyap,

We decided to store our hard copy x-rays as we have been digital for about 13 years now, and have no need to refer to them.

0 Kudos