Canine II

Re: Practiceworks Version 8.1.0

We have not received our update yet...

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Good morning,

I just entered the request. You should receive the update next week.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
rking
Canine II

Thank you!

0 Kudos
nageldds
Canine III

Thank you, Johnathan, for helping out yesterday. Please let me know if you find a solution for the scheduling issue. I love this forum and the great information and support available. Thanks again!  johnathan.djuriz

jurizjoedindonageldds

You're welcome Denise.

It would seem that Windows 10's April update (build 1803) that made changes to the DPI scaling options. I know on a past that Jeremy made back on March 12th (Here) where he showed that you could edit the advanced DPI settings and uncheck the box for using XP style scaling, and then PW should work with 125%. However, that option is no longer available. There are some new DPI scaling options both in resolution settings and on the compatibility tab when in the executable properties window.  I plan to install PracticeWorks on my personal Windows 10 machine Friday, which I already forced to update to the latest build of Windows 10,  and play with the settings to see if I can find a good balance on the settings to allow it to still use the 125% text/DPI size

Johnathan Downer | Technical Support Analyst

jurizjoedindonageldds

Hello,

So I was able to do some testing inside of Windows 10 build 1803.

I found that the same behavior for floating appointments was happening regardless of being in 100% DPI or 125% DPI.  If I had a floating apt that I was trying to drop into a timeslot, if the floating box was still about 1/3 in the chair/column to the left of the one you're selecting, it would jump into that chair instead of the one where your mouse is.  However, if you had pretty much the entire appointment over the time slot and chair column where it was desired to be placed, it would go in correctly.

This happened regardless of any of the new DPI and Scaling settings that were placed inside of Windows.

Denise, could you confirm that if you have the entire appointment aligned on top of the timeslot/chair you want it in, that it will go the correct slot? 

While I'd think it should follow more where the mouse itself is pointing/clicking, it doesn't seem to work that way, at least not with the update. But I'm not sure if it's the windows update or the PracticeWorks 8.1.0 update to blame, or if it's just always been that way and I haven't notice. I'll probably do some more testing with an older version of PracticeWorks (7.9 - 7.10.1) and see how if it more follows the mouse location or floating apt location.

-Johnathan

0 Kudos
nageldds
Canine III

joedindojurizjohnathan.d

Hi Johnathan,

Let's see if I can explain this properly . While rescheduling an appointment, I put my curser at the spot where I want the appointment to go. Example, curser is placed at the 8:00 time slot, the appointment jumps to 7:30. It doesn't seem to matter where in the column I am putting my curser. I don't seem to have as much of an issue with the column as I do the correct time.

I used to be able to grab the appointment and place it in the exact spot as the whole appointment would move and not become the flashing black box I see now. Hope that makes sense.

-Denise

yep, that makes sense.

I didn't seem to have any issues with it jumping to a different time in my testing, as much as it went to the other chair when I wasn't expecting it to. 

Part of my is curious though if having installed PracticeWorks brand new after the update might have some how kept it from acting up. maybe somehow as windows was installing it, it was able to correctly manage some of the needed scaling for the software due bc the new settings were already part of Windows.  But I can't be entirely sure, technically that shouldn't matter.  My only thought on confirming that would possible be to strip Practiceworks completely from one Workstation and reinstall it from scratch and see if it improves. But, then it could also be that my personal computer is running as if it's the server, and Practiceworks tends to behave a little differently when it's the server machine. I may try to see if I can get it to install as a Workstation instead just to see if it makes a difference. I'll have to see if I can get my personal to see my work computer's pworks share correctly.

As far as the black box when moving the apt though, that at one point was an issue that was semi common in Windows 7, and only took disabling some of the compatibility settings that were available at the time. those settings were removed by Microsoft starting in Windows 8, but it also didn't seem to be an issue at that point.  And then Windows 10 had an update back sometime mid to late last year that seem to start it up again. This also brought back the issue where the apt would either completely disappear when dragging it, or leave behind a trail until you released the click on the appt. We seemed to be able to figure out which update it was due to working with a tech to uninstall recent updates when it started until we found one that, once uninstalled, the trail, and it disappearing/going invisible no longer happened, but it becoming a black box still continued. We still aren't sure of a way to keep that from happening, but it seems to be the case for almost every Windows 10 user at this point. Just in case you're curious, or your tech is, the update that seemed to do it at the time was Windows 10 version 1703 (build 16299.64).  The downside is at this point will be the Windows 10 version 1803 will have those update items included in it, though so far it doesn't seem to be causing the issue again, but that could be due to some of the additional changes made in 1803 that counter it for our purposes. But I'm also not entirely sure it's possible to uninstall those older updates once you're on 1803 because it's basically a package install with the 1803 update. At least, I don't see it as an option in the update history to uninstall anything older than the 1803 update.  Windows 10 does it's updates differently then others before it, so it's more complicated to remove updates that cause issues.

0 Kudos

juriz‌  nageldds‌  joedindo

Hey Denise

so I was able to get some more testing in today and had it set up so that my Windows 10 machine was set as a Workstation install instead of as a server install.

Here are my notes that I made while testing.

DPI 125% testing
Installed as WS on Win10 machine using build 1803

*pre-notes: signed out and back in to Windows for each DPI change to assure it applied to everything. 

While still in 100%
 - Floating appt needs to have left edge inside the chair that it's being scheduled to. If any amt is still inside the chair to the left, it will drop into that chair.
  - No issues with it going into the correct time slot either.
   - Appt is turning purple/black, but does keep on track with the mouse

Switched to 125%
 - Behavior did not change.

Went to the icon's compatibility tab
 -checked box for 'disable full screen optimization'
    - no change
 - note: even the text still looked normal, didn't looked oversized for it field. Yellow stickies still worked fine.
 Went to "Change high DPI settings"
  -  Checked box for "Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program instead of the one in settings. with the drop down for "Use the DPI that's set for my main display when" set to "I open this program"
  - no change. unchecked

- checked box for "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: and set to "Application"
   This did cause some changes. 
  At this point the text did look to large for it's fields, and yellow stickies were distorted as you would have seen in previous versions at 125%+

As for the floating appts, at this point the appt would become invisible while moving the mouse, and it would no longer line up with where the mouse was pointing, instead it was above it quite a bit.

however, you would still dbl click and the appt would set where the mouse was clicking, again as long as you made sure the appt's left edge was completely within the desired chair. Which you can confirm it is just by releasing the button on the mouse.

Conclusion: PW 8.1.0 works in Windows 10 Build 1803 while it's DPI setting is at 125%, Office just needs to make sure that it lines the appt up on the chair correctly.

however, It's been reported that it is not going into the correct time slot, even if it is in the correct chair.  meaning they want to set it to 12 pm but it goes to 11:45 or 12:15.  I have not experienced this issue in my testing so can not confirm this is an issue affected by these settings. I am not sure at this time what could potentially correct this issue. Only thought would be to strip PW from the computer and reinstall now that Windows is updated and see if that might correct something in it.

--

Let me know if you have any questions, or would like to try stripping PracticeWorks from your machine and reinstalling and seeing if it improves. we can set up a time to do that.

Joe, if you'd like we can try this on yours as well.

-Johnathan