cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jojob
Canine III

Re: Is there a way to show that Hipaa has been updated each year?

Jump to solution

Understood.  Absolutely, new patients sign all HIPAA forms.  But our office has been in business 30 yrs.  I have to make sure we have consent from those patients prior to implementing HIPAA.

When I think of HIPAA, there's other forms, not just the Acknowledgement.  In our office, the following need updating: 

Consent to Communicate via mail/email/text/phone:  All patients, at least yearly.

Consent for Use and Disclosure (for Healthcare Operations and to disclose to family members):  All patients who just turned 18.  Actually, after they turn 18, they get the full pack of forms, incl. our Office Policy.  (Their parent might have signed HIPAA when they were 13.)

That's why I want the HIPAA date on the In-Office screen or DATES tab, "at a glance".  So, if I saw an "old" HIPAA date or 00/00/0000, it would prompt me to research their chart and get forms ready before they walked in, if needed.

jmerhar
Premolar I

Jump to solution

thanks, you said what I actually was trying to say.  We've been around for over 31 years and a lot has changed in the world since we started.

ajohnson87
Canine III

Jump to solution

I had posted a discussion about this about a month ago and hadn't received any responses. I was hoping there was an easy way to check for updated HIPAA information without having to dig all around. From what I understand It isn't HIPAA law/requirement to resign on a yearly basis but it is our company policy to have a new one signed each year. Being an Oral Surgeon's office, our patients aren't typically consistent patients such as they may be at a general dentist. So if we had a patient in for one treatment plan and they didn't return again until a few years later for something else, things happen and life changes - people get married/divorced, etc so making sure we have an updated HIPAA on file allowing or not allowing certain people access to their account.

Come to think about it, my general dentist office that I've been seen at regularly since 2009 hasn't ever asked me to sign an updated HIPAA form so I'm not sure who I have on it. I can assume but not for sure. 

Amy Jo
0 Kudos