cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ninaclaydental
Canine III

Scanning Into Softdent

In our office we are "paperless/chartless". With that being said we scan A LOT of paper! We currently have 3 HP Scanjet Professional 3000 scanners. For the past year or more we have a problem where after scanning 3+ documents a message comes on the screen saying "allocating memory fails". After this message displays you have to close out of softdent completely and reboot. My IT company says it because Softdent cannot handle us scanning at 300dpi in color. However, sometimes the image quality is not up to par if we lower the DPI. Anyone else experiencing this problem? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
14 Replies

Re: Scanning Into Softdent

I found some notes from HP website that might be helpful 

Check the virtual memory settings

Virtual memory is a temporary disk space on the hard disk that the computer uses to print and scan documents. The computer should have over 200 MB of disk space available for virtual memory. If the hard disk does not have sufficient virtual memory, trying to print or scan might cause an error.

To modify the size of the virtual memory available, follow these instructions:

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. Click the Advanced
  3. In the Performancesection, click Settings.
  4. Click the Advanced
  5. In the Virtual memorysection, click Change. Both the Initial and Maximum settings should be less than the reported Space available for the hard disk. The Initial size setting should be about 200 MB, and should be higher than or equal to the recommended paging file size shown in the lower section of the dialog box. The amount of memory in the initial size setting will be reserved on the hard disk for virtual memory.

The maximum amount allowable can be anything over the Initial size setting, but it should be at least twice the Initial size setting.

1. Based on the preceding information, make any necessary changes to the Initial size and Maximum size settings.
  2. Click Set, and then click OK.

I already called the office and applied these settings ( minimum size 5000 MB , max 15000 MB ) will test and apply on other WS if this fixed the issue

ninaclaydental
Canine III

Unfortunately, Ayman, this did not help. I really appreciate you reaching out!  

0 Kudos
aulino
Canine II

We have the same problem with our Epson DS-530. We'd love a solution. We are rebooting the computer several times a day!

Heather

pksaari79
First Molar I

We have had the same issue with scanning errors, some days more than others, and I believe this is a Softdent issue.  It has gone on way too long with no fixes that we have found.  The above did not help us and we have resorted to restarting computers at lunch to help with this.  We usually keep the dpi about 240 and I believe that has worked well when the need to reprint an item.

karen
Premolar I

We too have the same problem. 

cit
Canine II

We have the same issue. Would love a solution. 

bonanzaeast
Canine II

What I found is that when I have too many "windows" within Softdent that are currently opened this is what is using your memory. Hence the reason when you reboot, it clears the opened windows using the memory. This happens to me, but I realized that I just can't have that many viewing windows open. Be sure to close out of other windows or viewing screens and this should help. 

0 Kudos
cit
Canine II

This is not the situation with our use. We have a computer that is used only for scanning. SoftDent is not even open until we need to scan something. The only window open is the patient record we are scanning into. 

pksaari79
First Molar I

Still having issues with scanning.  When you go to scan, every now and then we get there is a memory failure.  We have to close out of Softdent and go back in....that often helps but sometimes you have to restart the computer to get past that error.  Daily, at lunch, we do have staff restart the computer to"clear" everything out.  We tried installing the Delete Files Temp but that did nothing to help. Why is this still an issue?  As a chartless office, we are scanning a lot on a daily basis and feel this is something that needs to be addressed ASAP, esp since this discussion has been going on October 2017.