cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
orly
Canine II

CDT Codes on Controlled Substance Prescriptions

We currently use the SoftDent Prescription Drugs program to print out prescriptions for our patients.  The Ohio Board of Pharmacy recently adopted new rules that will require all controlled substance prescriptions to include a CDT Procedure Code, beginning June 1, 2018.

Currently, the prescription program does not provide a prompt for entering the CDT code. If we enter the code in the "additional text note", the code will print on the Prescription Record portion that is kept in the patient's chart, but it does not print on the prescription itself. 

Other than writing the codes on the prescription by hand, does anyone have a method for entering in a CDT code so that it appears on the prescription as will be required by law?

4 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: CDT Codes on Controlled Substance Prescriptions

Good afternoon!  Since this sounds like a new requirement, we do not currently have a way to accommodate it in SoftDent (except devising some sort of workaround where we list it in a field intended for some other information), however you can bet if it impacts you, it will also impact other Ohio offices as well.   Do the new rules indicate where the information should be listed on the prescription form? I am tagging two of our our developers to get some eyes on your request - any additional info you can provide would be helpful, maybe a link or a screenshot of the info you have?

tyson.edwards‌ and jeremy.dempsey‌ - are we aware of these changes to the Ohio standard for printed Rxs?  Can looks like we have someone here who can help us with a user story if needed.  

CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

This Is something we plan to include in the next release, 17.1 later this year.

orly
Canine II

I do have an image of the article we received stating that on June 1, 2018 CDT codes will be required for all controlled substances however, it appears as though Carestream is already addressing it, and for that I am extremely thankful! Would you still like me to upload the image?  

0 Kudos
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

I am working with RRDonnelley to ensure that their forms are ready for this as well. 

0 Kudos