cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmerhar
Premolar I

Is there a way to show that Hipaa has been updated each year?

Jump to solution

We update Hipaa and insurance signatures each year (on the same form) .  There is a Hipaa button for the first time that we acknowledge Hipaa, but is there some way to easily see that Hipaa is updated each year without looking into documents?

12 Replies

Re: Is there a way to show that Hipaa has been updated each year?

Jump to solution

here is an idea , have you thought about using user codes to indicate the year 
for example when a patient sign HIPAA for the 2018 year you can add user code 8 to that patient , then when they sign 2019 replace 8 with 9  and so on 
user codes are accessible from the appointment card so it is easy to check what number they have while checking them 

you can also use contacts ( there are built in contacts for HIPAA acknowledgment ) but it is also couple clicks away from the scheduler 

0 Kudos
jmerhar
Premolar I

Jump to solution

thank you, I had not thought of user code.  We do use them for many other things. We do update the contact for hipaa, but yes that takes a few clicks.

cacrispe
Canine II

Jump to solution

What do you mean by user code?  I am not familiar with what that is.  HIPAA is very cumbersome to update due to the length of time it takes to get into history for each patient.  I would love a work around.   Thanks!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

cacrispe‌ 
if you open patient information screen , on the right side of this window in office information are there should be a box called user codes 
i attached a screenshot not sure if it will show 

0 Kudos
jojob
Canine III

Jump to solution

Request:  I recommend that a patient's HIPAA date should appear:  1) on the patient's DATES tab page.  If never signed, then field should be 00/00/0000, informing us we didn't enter/get.  2) on the In-Office page as a column. I use In-Office daily.  After I "Check In" a patient, I'll get a warning:  "No HIPAA on file", then, I scramble getting forms.  Prefer to see status of HIPAA already on the In-Office page, so I can gather forms in advance ready for those patient.  HIPAA column would be 00/00/0000 if not signed/not entered by us or the date of last consent uploaded from the HIPAA Acknowledgement screen.

jmerhar
Premolar I

Jump to solution

Yes, yes, yes.  Exactly what I want especially since we can get fined for not having hipaa up to date.  Kind of important.

0 Kudos
callton
Premolar I

Jump to solution

Based on the following info from the ADA website, we only do HIPAA acknowledgement once in our office.

Do returning patients have to sign a HIPAA form every single time they visit, or is it once a year, ...

The HIPAA Privacy Rule requires that you ask a new patient to sign an Acknowledgement of your Notice of Privacy Practices not later than the patient’s first face-to-face visit. After that, the regulation generally requires that you retain any signed Acknowledgement for at least six years after the patient is no longer active in your practice. Some facilities ask all patients to sign an Acknowledgement at every visit to reduce the risk of missing new patients and lost paperwork, but this is not a HIPAA requirement.

0 Kudos
jmerhar
Premolar I

Jump to solution

We include with an updated Hipaa form each year, the "signature on file" for insurance claims.  What do you guys do about  insurance signatures?

0 Kudos
callton
Premolar I

Jump to solution

Insurance signatures do not expire either.  They sign on their original chart once.

0 Kudos