cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jawdoc
Canine III

Coding question

Hello fellow coders,

When billing bone graft code D7953 does anyone bill a separate materials code for obtaining graft material such as D7995?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
5 Replies
CS Dental Employee
CS Dental Employee

Re: Coding question

The descriptor for that code suggests that it does not include obtaining graft material.  

0 Kudos
jpisariktnosi
Premolar I

We do not, though we do not obtain graft materials from the patient. You should be able to bill separately provided you are actually harvesting graft materials from the patient (and not using cadaver or bovine bone).

office121oms
Canine III

I also do as Janelle does  though we do not obtain graft materials from the patient. You should be able to bill separately provided you are actually harvesting graft materials from the patient (and not using cadaver or bovine bone).  You can bill if you a membrane on top of your bone graft 

jawdoc
Canine III

We usually use banked cadaver bone for D7953.  The code definition says "Does not include obtaining graft material."  My doctor is reading this as it doesn't include the bone graft material and is wondering if the graft material (cadaver bone) can be billed separately.  We do bill separately if we use a membrane.

jpisariktnosi
Premolar I

No, any synthetic or non-pt graft is considered bundled in the D7953. If you harvest the graft you are allowed to bill for the process of obtaining the graft from another part of the body, since it's a separate procedure. You cannot bill for materials separate from the D7953.